DistantNews
Support us

Australia’s capital to join gun buyback in response to Bondi Beach attack, Albanese says

From The Straits Times · () English

Summarized and contextualized by DistantNews.

At a glance

News From a news agency New plan
  • Australia's capital territory will join a national gun buyback program in response to a deadly attack at a Sydney Jewish festival.
  • Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced the plan, aiming to prevent future anti-Semitic terrorist incidents.
  • The buyback follows a similar, larger campaign after a 1996 mass shooting in Tasmania.

Australia's capital, Canberra, will participate in a national gun buyback program as part of the government's response to a fatal attack at a Sydney Jewish festival. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese stated that the initiative aims to prevent future anti-Semitic terrorist incidents.

The federal government had already enacted laws in January for the gun buyback, stricter gun license checks, and a crackdown on hate speech. These measures were introduced following a December 14, 2025, gun attack at a Bondi Beach Hanukkah celebration in Sydney, the capital of New South Wales state. The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) is the first state to commit to the plan, which is set to launch on November 2.

"I thank the ACT Government for their collaboration as we work to take guns off our streets in order to better protect Australians," Albanese said in a statement. The ACT has 23,000 guns and over 7,000 firearms license holders. The buyback is intended to enhance public safety, particularly in the wake of an attack where legally obtained firearms were used.

This buyback will be Australia's largest since a similar campaign following the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania, where a gunman killed 35 people. The government has reported a record 4.1 million firearms in Australia in 2025. The suspects in the Bondi Beach attack, a father and son allegedly inspired by the Islamic State, face multiple murder charges.

I thank the ACT Government for their collaboration as we work to take guns off our streets in order to better protect Australians.

— Anthony AlbanesePrime Minister Anthony Albanese's statement on the ACT's participation in the gun buyback program.
DistantNews Editorial

Originally published by The Straits Times. Summarized and contextualized by our editorial team with added local perspective. Read our editorial standards.