DistantNews
Support us
Iran Claims Qatar Holds Pilots of Shot-Down Aircraft; Doha Denies, Says All Died
๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ Serbia /Conflict & Security

Iran Claims Qatar Holds Pilots of Shot-Down Aircraft; Doha Denies, Says All Died

From N1 Serbia · () Serbian

Translated from Serbian, summarized and contextualized by DistantNews.

At a glance

News Sources not specified Context piece
  • Iran and Qatar are engaged in a diplomatic dispute over Tehran's claim that Doha is holding three missing Iranian military pilots.
  • Qatar denies the allegations, stating that its air defense forces engaged Iranian bombers that violated its airspace on March 2.
  • Iran has appealed to the International Committee of the Red Cross, accusing Qatar of holding the pilots as prisoners of war.

A diplomatic dispute has erupted between Iran and Qatar, with Tehran alleging that Doha is secretly holding three missing Iranian military pilots. Qatar has vehemently denied these claims, asserting that its air defense systems were activated only after Iranian bombers repeatedly violated Qatari airspace on March 2.

According to Iranian officials, one pilot, Brigadier General Majid Kazemi, died, and his body was returned to Iran. However, they maintain that the other three pilots, Javad Salehi, Abdolmadjid Dashtian, and Omran Behravashian, were captured. Iran has formally appealed to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), accusing Qatar of violating the Geneva Conventions by holding these individuals as prisoners of war.

Qatar's Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that its military forces engaged the aircraft only after repeated warnings were ignored by the Iranian pilots. Qatari search and rescue teams reportedly found no evidence of survivors. The ministry has invited Iranian experts to review Qatar's operational data. However, a high-ranking Iranian military official, Mohamed Bagerzade, claimed that Qatar is "detaining the three pilots on water" and that their physical condition is rapidly deteriorating, prompting Tehran to demand immediate hospitalization for them.

Iran has requested the ICRC to urgently dispatch a vessel to Qatar to expedite the repatriation of the allegedly injured and sick pilots. While Iran previously accused Qatar of obstructing its military investigators, recent reports suggest Doha may be reconsidering its stance and potentially allowing a delegation of Iranian experts to examine the search and rescue findings directly.

Katar is holding the three pilots on water, and their physical condition is rapidly deteriorating.

โ€” Mohamed BagerzadeA high-ranking Iranian military official's statement regarding the condition of the captured pilots.
DistantNews Editorial

Originally published by N1 Serbia in Serbian. Translated, summarized, and contextualized by our editorial team with added local perspective. Read our editorial standards.