DistantNews
Support us
Iran Says 2 French Embassy Employees Barred from Returning
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Saudi Arabia /Disasters & Emergencies

Iran Says 2 French Embassy Employees Barred from Returning

From Asharq Al-Awsat · () English

Summarized and contextualized by DistantNews.

At a glance

News Named sources Context piece
  • Residents in southwestern France jeered Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu over the government's handling of recent wildfires.
  • The fires, which occurred in late July and early August, devastated the Gironde region, destroying 183 homes.
  • Anger stems from allegations that authorities prioritized protecting affluent areas over local residents' homes.

Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu faced jeers from residents in southwestern France on Monday, expressing anger over the government's response to devastating wildfires that swept through the Gironde region earlier this summer. Approximately 200 people gathered in Le Porge, a town where 183 homes were destroyed, to protest as the prime minister arrived for a meeting.

It really amounts to treating us as if we don't matter.

โ€” Tony Veiga, a 65-year-old pensionerA local resident expressed his feeling of being disregarded by the government's actions following the wildfires.

Chants of "Where is he?" and anti-government slogans filled the air as Lecornu's car approached. Residents voiced frustration, with one pensioner stating it was the "least he could do" to meet them, feeling ignored by the authorities. Lecornu's office maintained that he had engaged with affected residents and farmers, asserting transparency in the fire protection operations.

However, discontent persists among some locals who allege that authorities prioritized fighting fires in the upscale Cap-Ferret peninsula, a popular holiday destination for affluent Parisians, over safeguarding the homes of local residents. Organizers of a resident group plan to file complaints seeking "truth, transparency, and justice," reporting that riot police blocked their access.

We have absolutely nothing to hide regarding how fire protection operations have been conducted over the past few weeks.

โ€” Lecornu's officeThe Prime Minister's office stated their commitment to transparency regarding the fire response efforts.

The wildfires, which burned through 42,000 hectares, were brought under control on August 1. This event marked the largest fire in France by surface area since 1949. The flames came alarmingly close to the Bordeaux metropolitan area, forcing the evacuation of over 220,000 residents and tourists.

We were met by lines of riot police blocking our access.

โ€” Ludivine Daurignac, organizer of a group of affected residentsAn organizer described the difficulties residents faced in trying to voice their concerns to officials.
DistantNews Editorial

Originally published by Asharq Al-Awsat. Summarized and contextualized by our editorial team with added local perspective. Read our editorial standards.