Trump orders substantial reduction in US-South Korea military drills
Translated from English, summarized and contextualized by DistantNews.
At a glance
- U.S. President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea.
- Trump cited his good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and called the drills costly and inappropriate.
- South Korea's Ministry of Defence stated the exercises would proceed as scheduled, involving 18,000 soldiers.
President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to significantly scale back joint military exercises with South Korea, citing his "very good relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Trump expressed dissatisfaction with the drills, calling them costly and a "totally inappropriate and hostile" signal to North Korea, which he characterized as "unthreatening and respectful" during his presidency.
Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea.
Trump wrote on social media that while it was too late to cancel the upcoming exercises, he had instructed Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth to "substantially reduce" them. He also alluded to South Korea's refusal to join the U.S. in the "Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran."
the exercises, due to start on Monday, are costly and โsend a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostileโ to North Korea, which he said โhas been unthreatening and respectfulโ while Trump has been in the White House.
South Korea's Ministry of Defence responded by stating that the military exercises would "proceed as previously notified and scheduled." The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills, set to run for 11 days from August 17 to 27, are a regular fixture designed to prepare South Korean and U.S. forces for defense against North Korea. The drills involve 18,000 South Korean soldiers and have historically angered Pyongyang, which views them as invasion rehearsals.
I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, โNo thanks!'
North Korea had previously denounced the latest drills as a provocation. A spokesperson for its Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated on Friday that U.S.-Japan-South Korea military cooperation was evolving into a "nuclear alliance," and Pyongyang would respond to new threats with enhanced deterrence. Trump also shared a photo of himself with Kim Jong Un, noting their good relationship despite the image's "unfriendly look."
the military exercises would โproceed as previously notified and scheduledโ.
Originally published by Al Jazeera in English. Translated, summarized, and contextualized by our editorial team with added local perspective. Read our editorial standards.