DistantNews
Support us
Trump says no talks with Iran ongoing or planned, blockade remains
๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฝ Mexico /Conflict & Security

Trump says no talks with Iran ongoing or planned, blockade remains

From El Universal · () Spanish

Translated from Spanish, summarized and contextualized by DistantNews.

At a glance

News Sources not specified Context piece
  • President Donald Trump stated there are no ongoing or planned talks with Iran, while asserting that the naval blockade of Iranian ports remains in effect.
  • This declaration created confusion following recent remarks by U.S. envoy Jared Kushner about

President Donald Trump declared on Tuesday that no discussions are currently underway or planned with Iran. He also insisted that the blockade of Iranian ports is active, in a message posted on his Truth Social platform.

"There is no dialogue or conversations underway, nor are they planned with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The naval blockade remains in effect. The Strait of Hormuz is open and operational. All mines in the waters have been removed or detonated," the Republican leader wrote.

This statement generated confusion, particularly after U.S. envoy Jared Kushner referred to "very positive" conversations on Monday during an interview with Fox News. Despite acknowledging a "lack of much trust" between the United States and Iran after "all these years of absence of relations and dialogue," Kushner stated that "both sides are very seriously involved."

Meanwhile, Iran's chief negotiator, Mohamad Baqer Ghalibaf, asserted on Tuesday that the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic waterway for hydrocarbons that Iran had blocked, "will not open until the American commitments stipulated in the agreement protocol are implemented." He cited conditions such as "the lifting of the (U.S.) naval blockade, the unfreezing of (Iranian) assets, the lifting of the oil embargo," and "the end of military operations on all fronts."

Trump had previously published a map on Truth Social on Tuesday, labeling the Strait of Hormuz as "NEW AMERICAN TERRITORY," reiterating his threat to claim sovereignty over this maritime route. The conflict between Iran and the United States escalated on February 28 with U.S.-Israeli attacks against the Islamic Republic, sparking a regional conflict.

DistantNews Editorial

Originally published by El Universal in Spanish. Translated, summarized, and contextualized by our editorial team with added local perspective. Read our editorial standards.