US says American researcher Min Zin wrongfully detained in China ahead of Xi visit
Translated from Chinese, summarized and contextualized by DistantNews.
At a glance
- The U.S. State Department has determined that American researcher Min Zin is being wrongfully detained in China.
- This determination elevates securing his release to a top U.S. priority, occurring weeks before President Trump's planned meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- Human rights groups urge the U.S. to press China for Min Zin's release ahead of Xi's visit, while China maintains all cases are handled lawfully.
The U.S. State Department declared on Tuesday that American-Myanmar researcher Min Zin is being "wrongfully detained" in China, making his release a top U.S. priority. This move comes just weeks before President Donald Trump is scheduled to host Chinese President Xi Jinping at the White House.
Human rights organizations are calling on the U.S. to pressure Beijing for Min Zin's release before Xi's anticipated visit on September 24. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo stated that after a thorough review, it was determined Min Zin is being "wrongfully detained." The department also urged China to release other American citizens it holds.
Min Zin is being wrongfully detained in China, this is the result of a comprehensive review of the relevant circumstances.
Min Zin, who had been living in Thailand and previously resided in the U.S. and Myanmar, was invited by the Chinese government to attend an academic conference in Kunming, Yunnan province, on June 3. According to a senior State Department official, he was detained at the airport and has since endured "repeated interrogations, isolation, and confinement" for nearly 11 weeks.
One minute, colleagues and family were talking to him about his arrival time and plans in China, the next minute he was unreachable. For a full 48 hours, his relatives had no idea where he had gone, whether he was alive or dead, or who had taken him.
"One minute, colleagues and family were talking to him about his arrival time and plans in China, the next minute he was unreachable. For a full 48 hours, his relatives had no idea where he had gone, whether he was alive or dead, or who had taken him," the official told Reuters. Yunnan authorities eventually informed the U.S. Embassy that Min Zin was under criminal investigation for "endangering national security."
Human rights activists accuse China of "hostage diplomacy," detaining foreigners, including Americans, to gain leverage in bilateral relations. Supporters of Min Zin, including former Trump administration officials, have petitioned the president to raise the case with Beijing. The State Department official noted that Min Zin's case has caused "serious concern among other scholars" about potential entrapment and detention by China.
Min Zin's case has caused serious concern among other scholars, who worry about being lured and detained by China.
Originally published by Liberty Times in Chinese. Translated, summarized, and contextualized by our editorial team with added local perspective. Read our editorial standards.