NATO Prepared for Iranian Threats Extending to Europe, Official Says
Translated from English, summarized and contextualized by DistantNews.
At a glance
- NATO stated it is prepared to defend all allies against any threat, particularly in response to reports of Iran considering attacks on U.S. military targets in Europe.
- A NATO official cited successful interception of Iranian ballistic missiles heading to Turkiye earlier this year as evidence of a strong defense posture.
- Reports suggest Iran is weighing options to broaden conflict beyond the Middle East if the U.S. escalates military action, potentially targeting European assets and infrastructure.
NATO is prepared to counter any threats, including potential Iranian actions extending to Europe, a NATO official stated Wednesday. This response comes amid reports that Iran has considered attacking U.S. military targets in Europe should former President Donald Trump escalate the war.
The official pointed to NATO's successful interception of Iranian ballistic missiles aimed at Turkiye earlier this year as proof of its robust deterrence and defense capabilities. "As demonstrated earlier this year when NATO air defenses successfully intercepted ballistic missiles heading to Turkiye from Iran on four separate occasions, our deterrence and defense posture is strong and effective," the official said.
NATO is prepared to address any threat and will always do what is necessary to defend all allies.
A Financial Times report, citing two regime insiders, indicated that Iran is exploring ways to expand the confrontation beyond the Middle East if Washington intensifies military action. One insider suggested Iran is preparing options to broaden the conflict if Trump follows through on past threats to attack Iranian infrastructure, with another stating Tehran would place "no limits" on its response.
As demonstrated earlier this year when NATO air defenses successfully intercepted ballistic missiles heading to Turkiye from Iran on four separate occasions, our deterrence and defense posture is strong and effective.
According to the report, Iranian forces assessed possible strikes against U.S. assets in southeastern Europe, including Bulgaria, which recently approved the use of Bezmer Air Base by U.S. refueling aircraft. Cyprus, where a British air base was targeted by a drone in March, was also identified as a potential site for retaliation. Additionally, Iran's forces reportedly examined attacks on subsea fiber-optic cables in the Strait of Hormuz if the conflict intensified.
Iranian officials issued warnings regarding foreign assistance to the U.S. military. Major General Ali Abdollahi, Chief of the General Staff of Iranโs Armed Forces, stated that any support for U.S. forces would be seen as complicity. He noted the significant concentration of U.S. military aircraft in regional installations, implying host nations' awareness.
Iran has been weighing ways to broaden the confrontation beyond the Middle East if Washington intensifies military action.
Meanwhile, Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs, Kazem Gharibabadi, asserted that countries aligning with foreigners will face severe consequences, emphasizing Iran's self-determination and resolve.
Iran was preparing options to expand the conflict if Trump followed through on previous threats to attack Iranian infrastructure.
Originally published by Asharq Al-Awsat in English. Translated, summarized, and contextualized by our editorial team with added local perspective. Read our editorial standards.