DistantNews
Support us
Trump refuses to extend Iran ceasefire
๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡พ Malaysia /Conflict & Security

Trump refuses to extend Iran ceasefire

From Utusan Malaysia · () Malay

Translated from Malay, summarized and contextualized by DistantNews.

At a glance

News From a news agency Outcome reported
  • U.S. President Donald Trump stated he does not intend to extend the temporary ceasefire agreement with Iran, which expired Monday.
  • The 60-day interim deal, aimed at reopening the Strait of Hormuz and paving the way for a long-term nuclear agreement, was largely unheeded.
  • Both the U.S. and Iran repeatedly accused each other of violating the terms, with military operations resuming in the region.

President Donald Trump announced Monday that the United States will not extend the temporary ceasefire agreement with Iran, a deal that had been in place since mid-June and expired on Monday. "No," Trump responded when asked by reporters if he would seek an extension of the temporary truce.

The 60-day memorandum of understanding was initially viewed as a significant step toward reopening the Strait of Hormuz and facilitating a final agreement on Tehran's nuclear ambitions. However, the accord saw widespread disregard within weeks, as both parties consistently accused one another of breaching the agreed-upon conditions. Military operations in the region soon resumed.

No

โ€” Donald TrumpResponding to a question about extending the temporary ceasefire with Iran.

By mid-July, Trump declared the ceasefire over, following a joint U.S.-Israeli strike on Tehran on February 28. Since then, Trump has repeatedly asserted that Iran desires a peace agreement with the U.S. "They want to make a deal, but they won't make a deal like I think is necessary," Trump told reporters at the Oval Office on Monday when questioned about progress.

They want to make a deal, but they won't make a deal like I think is necessary

โ€” Donald TrumpCommenting on Iran's desire for a peace agreement with the U.S.

Tehran, however, denied ongoing negotiations with the U.S. Instead, Iran stated it was actively discussing an agreement with Oman to reopen the Strait of Hormuz. This waterway, crucial for global oil trade, sees about 20 percent of the world's oil commerce pass through it, though it has been largely obstructed from commercial transit compared to pre-war levels.

In a Truth Social post on Monday morning, Trump reiterated the U.S. stance that Iran must commit to not possessing nuclear weapons. "The number one goal is and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way, shape or form, nuclear weapons," Trump wrote. Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law and senior advisor, told Fox on Monday that Iran currently shows no interest in a U.S.-acceptable deal.

The number one goal is and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way, shape or form, nuclear weapons

โ€” Donald TrumpReiterating the U.S. stance on Iran's nuclear program.
DistantNews Editorial

Originally published by Utusan Malaysia in Malay. Translated, summarized, and contextualized by our editorial team with added local perspective. Read our editorial standards.