'Doesn't close the circle': Terror victim's sister opens up after IDF kills terrorist's father
Translated from English, summarized and contextualized by DistantNews.
At a glance
- Fathi Hazem, the father of terrorist Raad Hazem who killed three people in Tel Aviv in 2022, was killed by Israeli forces in Jenin.
- Hazem reportedly attempted to stab soldiers, who then shot him dead.
- The sister of one of the victims stated that while she is relieved the terrorist's father is dead, his killing does not bring closure as her brother is still gone.
Fathi Hazem, the father of the terrorist Raad Hazem responsible for the 2022 Tel Aviv shooting that killed three people, was killed overnight Thursday in Jenin. According to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), Hazem attempted to stab troops operating in the area and was shot dead.
For Tal Morad, Tomerโs sister, his killing does not close a circle. In her eyes, the circle that began on April 7, 2022, cannot be closed as long as her brother is not here.
For Tal Morad, sister of victim Tomer Morad, the killing of Fathi Hazem does not bring closure. "The circle that began on April 7, 2022, cannot be closed as long as my brother is not here," she told Walla.
Tal recounted a dream her mother had just before the news of Hazem's death, in which Tomer appeared wounded in a hospital, accompanied by another wounded man. Tomer told his mother not to touch him, saying, "They put him in his place." The dream took on a chilling significance after the family learned of Hazem's death.
Mom, donโt touch me, Iโm wounded.
Tal emphasized that her immediate concern upon hearing the news was the safety of the soldiers. "The first thing I did was check that none of our forces had been injured," she said. "From what I understand, Hazem tried to stab a soldier, and they shot back at him. That is what brings us the most comfort and relief as a family."
They put him in his place.
Despite the lack of closure, Tal expressed relief that Hazem, whom she described as spreading hatred and sending people to carry out attacks, is no longer alive. "Mostly, thank God, this man is no longer with us," she stated. The attack in April 2022 saw Raad Hazem open fire on Dizengoff Street in Tel Aviv, killing Barak Lufen, Tomer Morad, and Eitam Magini, and wounding 15 others.
The first thing I did was check that none of our forces had been injured and that nothing had happened, because that is the most important thing.
Originally published by Jerusalem Post in English. Translated, summarized, and contextualized by our editorial team with added local perspective. Read our editorial standards.