DistantNews
Support us
Iran seeks end to war with US from stronger position, president says
๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡พ Malaysia /Elections & Politics

Iran seeks end to war with US from stronger position, president says

From Utusan Malaysia · () Malay

Translated from Malay, summarized and contextualized by DistantNews.

At a glance

News Sources not specified Context piece
  • Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian stated it is time to end the conflict with the United States, asserting Iran is in a stronger position.
  • He defended a June memorandum of understanding with the U.S., claiming it shows no sign of surrender and places commitments on the other party.
  • The U.S. plans to increase sanctions, which Iran's Foreign Ministry condemned as economic terrorism and a crime against humanity.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian declared on Friday that the time has come to conclude the months-long conflict with the United States, asserting that Tehran now holds a stronger position than Washington. He noted that negotiations between the two nations, long-standing adversaries, remain stalled, with both sides at an impasse in the conflict initiated by the U.S. and Israel in February.

It is better we end the war now because we are in a strong and dignified position.

โ€” Masoud PezeshkianStating Iran's readiness to end the conflict with the U.S.

Pezeshkian defended a memorandum of understanding (MoU) agreed upon in June, stating that it does not indicate any Iranian defeat. "They cannot find even one clause in this agreement that shows self-surrender. All commitments are the responsibility of the other party," he said. His remarks followed confirmation from Iran's Supreme Leader, Mojtaba Khamenei, that he had approved an agreement to end the war, despite holding differing views.

The whole world acknowledges our victory and insists that America has attacked our schools, hospitals and infrastructure in violation of all rules and is hated all over the world.

โ€” Masoud PezeshkianJustifying Iran's stronger position in the conflict.

Despite Iran's claims of a stronger position, the U.S. intends to intensify sanctions to exert further pressure on Tehran. The Iranian Foreign Ministry has denounced these plans, accusing the U.S. of economic terrorism and crimes against humanity. The ministry stated that those implementing and initiating such sanctions "deserve to be tried and punished for committing such heinous crimes." U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent had previously vowed to "dismantle the Iranian regime" through a planned campaign.

They cannot find even one clause in this agreement that shows self-surrender. All commitments are the responsibility of the other party.

โ€” Masoud PezeshkianDefending the June memorandum of understanding with the U.S.
DistantNews Editorial

Originally published by Utusan Malaysia in Malay. Translated, summarized, and contextualized by our editorial team with added local perspective. Read our editorial standards.