DistantNews
Support us
Syria Says 3 Dead in Hydrogen Tank Blast at Coastal Power Plant
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Saudi Arabia /Energy & Infrastructure

Syria Says 3 Dead in Hydrogen Tank Blast at Coastal Power Plant

From Asharq Al-Awsat · () English

Summarized and contextualized by DistantNews.

At a glance

News Named sources Ongoing story
  • Syria accused Israel of striking the Abu Duhur military airport in the country's northwest with eight airstrikes early Tuesday.
  • Syrian state television reported material damage to the airport's infrastructure but no casualties.
  • Israel has conducted numerous incursions into Syrian territory since late 2024, targeting military sites.

Syria has accused Israel of launching airstrikes against the Abu Duhur military airport in the country's northwest. Syrian state television reported that eight strikes hit the facility early Tuesday, causing material damage to its infrastructure. However, the report stated that the attack resulted in no casualties.

Israeli occupation aircraft early this morning targeted the runway of the Abu Duhur military airport... with eight strikes.

โ€” Unidentified military sourceQuoted by Syrian state television, describing the Israeli attack.

This incident follows a pattern of Israeli military actions within Syrian territory. Since the overthrow of Bashar al-Assad in December 2024, Israel has reportedly conducted incursions, including sending troops into a UN-patrolled buffer zone in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights. According to a Syria war monitor, key military sites, including several airfields, have been targeted.

the attack resulted in material damage to the airport's infrastructure, without causing casualties

โ€” Unidentified military sourceQuoted by Syrian state television, reporting the outcome of the airstrikes.

Israeli officials have indicated their intention to maintain forces in a "security zone" in southern Syria, aiming for a broader demilitarized area. Damascus has consistently condemned these incursions, with Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani previously warning that the "unlawful occupation of our land beyond the 1974 line is a direct threat to the security of the region." He has demanded an "immediate and unconditional withdrawal."

the continuation of Israeli military actions

โ€” Asaad al-ShaibaniSyrian Foreign Minister condemning Israeli military actions.

Despite the ongoing tensions and condemnations, Israel captured most of the Golan Heights from Syria in the 1967 Arab-Israeli War and later annexed the territory, a move not recognized by the international community. The United Nations chief has condemned these actions as "violations of Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity." Nevertheless, Syria and Israel have engaged in several rounds of direct talks and agreed to establish an intelligence-sharing mechanism.

the unlawful occupation of our land beyond the 1974 line is a direct threat to the security of the region

โ€” Asaad al-ShaibaniSyrian Foreign Minister warning about the consequences of Israeli occupation.
DistantNews Editorial

Originally published by Asharq Al-Awsat. Summarized and contextualized by our editorial team with added local perspective. Read our editorial standards.