Morocco detains dozens of migrants trying to cross into Ceuta
Summarized and contextualized by DistantNews.
At a glance
- Moroccan authorities detained over 100 migrants attempting to cross into the Spanish exclave of Ceuta.
- The detentions follow a massive influx of migrants last month and heightened security measures, including army officers and drones.
- Spain has reinforced its border with additional security officers, a metal fence, and a floating barrier.
Moroccan authorities have detained over 100 migrants attempting to reach the Spanish North African exclave of Ceuta. The detentions occurred near the town of Fnideq, close to the border. This action follows a significant influx of migrants last month, which saw approximately 78,000 people arrive in Ceuta, with some reports indicating around 100 deaths.
It comes a fortnight after roughly 78,000 migrants arrived in the exclave by sea in a matter of hours โ 100 of whom died, according to the cityโs mayor, who also said the vast majority of arrivals had returned to Morocco.
Security has been significantly increased in the area since the previous surge. Moroccan police, some in riot gear, reportedly used tear gas to disperse groups of migrants. The Moroccan government had warned of potential mass crossing attempts and stated it would prosecute organizers.
Moroccan police โ including some in riot gear โ reportedly used tear gas to disperse groups of migrants gathered on nearby hills.
Morocco deployed army officers, navy speedboats, and drones to the border, while Spain reinforced its presence with over 1,500 security officers. Spain has also installed a metal fence and a floating barrier to manage the border.
Morocco had dispatched army officers, navy speedboats and drones to the border on Saturday, it said.
Originally published by Ghanaian Times. Summarized and contextualized by our editorial team with added local perspective. Read our editorial standards.